TO APPLY: Please submit cover letter, resume, brief writing sample, and two reference letters to be considered. If listing degrees or certifications, then include copies. Please contact Cristina Collett Jensen at (830) 421-5389 or via Email: email@example.com.
Job Title: Protective Services Attorney
Department: Prosecutor’s Office Department
Reports to: General Counsel
The Protective Services Attorney provides support in child welfare, Juvenile and Adult In Need of Care litigation on behalf of and representing the Kickapoo Traditional Tribe of Texas and the Kickapoo Indian Child Welfare Services (ICWS).
- Provide counsel and advice to ICWS on substantive issues related to child welfare.
- Draft and review various legal pleadings, motions, discoveries, documents, and correspondence necessary to litigate Child In Need of Care, Juvenile Offender, and Status Offender matters; in the Tribe’s Court for Adult in Need of Care matters; and in state court child custody proceedings, involving children who are enrolled or eligible for enrollment in the Tribe.
- Prepare for and attend hearings and casework· Represent the Tribe at meetings, court proceedings and other functions.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of case files, calendars and databases.
- Assist in the development, revision and modification of the Tribe’s laws, resolutions and ordinances.
- Comply with tribal, state, and federal governmental regulations; maintaining an ethical practice in respect to the Tribe, Tribal Courts, judicial system and clients.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY:
- Considerable knowledge in legal and substantive child welfare, dependency and termination proceedings.
- Knowledge of and experience in application of principles of jurisprudence and legal analysis, including a background in and knowledge of the American Bar Association Standards of Practice.
- Must have a Juris Doctor (JD) or equivalent law degree from an accredited institution and be licensed to practice law in the state, with a minimum of 3 years’ experience.
- Experience in providing training to tribal agencies and Tribal members.
- Experience in drafting tribal codes.
- Experience as an attorney in state or federal court proceedings.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org